Deadline: December 22, 2016
Program Period: September 11 to November 2, 2017
Number of Fellows Accepted: 9
Theme: “Seeking Our Commons in Asia: How Can We Create Visions for the Future?”
When the public sphere is expanding into various realms, such as economics, society, culture, nature and digital space, what can people in Asia share in common while acknowledging and respecting differences in values and standards? And through dialogue and collaboration, how can we create new values, ideas and movements from this “commons” or common ground, and connect them to a future which starts from Asia?
- The ALFP is open to citizens of Northeast-, Southeast- and South-Asian countries and regions, aged 35 to 59, inclusive.
- Applicants must have a good command of English to engage in deep and substantial discussions in English.
- Applicants need to have a solid background in their own professions and have access to a wide audience in their country or region through publications, teaching, media, performance, etc. to disseminate their thoughts and findings.
There is no prescribed set of professions for an ALFP fellow; the professions of past fellows include, but are not limited to, academia, journalism, business, national and local politics, education, administration, the arts, publications, and NGO and non-profit activities.
Application materials listed below must be submitted by post and received by the ALFP Secretariat no later than Thursday, December 22, 2016. All documents should be A4 size. Use only staplers and/or paper clips; do not bind them together with a ring binder or the like.
- Designated Application Form (pp. 6-7), completed, dated and signed.
- Curriculum Vitae in English. This must not exceed 5 pages in length.
- An essay of 500-1000 words in English. In this essay, please include the following elements and make sure that they are related to your experience and expertise:
- reason for applying for the ALFP;
- what your participation in the ALFP will help you accomplish for your community, country and/or region;
- your unique contribution to the Program and to other fellows;
- your thoughts on the 2017 general theme of the Program: “Seeking Our Commons in Asia: How Can We Create Visions for the Future?“ (See the explanation on page 2 about the theme.)
- Two Letters of Recommendation, signed and sealed (using the designated form; pp. 8-9), from people familiar with your work who can comment on your professional achievements.
- Two samples of your recent written works in English, less than 10 pages in length (short essays, newspaper articles, etc.). Written samples that are related to your reason for applying for the ALFP or to the 2017 general theme are preferred.
Fellowship Value & Condition
The Program will provide each fellow with the following:
- Round-trip economy airfare between Tokyo and the city where the fellow is based
- A daily allowance (to cover accommodations, meals and other incidentals)
- Medical insurance during the Program in Japan
- Other costs related to group activities set by the Program
Fellows must participate in all the program’s activities and make necessary preparations and later dissemination efforts as set by the Program.
Fellows are required to spend the entire program period at the International House of Japan in Tokyo except for the one-week individual activities period in October. Families cannot be accommodated for the duration of the Program.
Fellows are required to submit a final report, reflecting their experience, for online publication on the ALFP website.
Although some activities are pre-set for fellows, the Program is still flexible, leaving enough time and space for fellows in designing additional activities after their spending some time together as a group in Japan.
December 22, 2016
January to March, 2017
Stage 1: Screening of application materials
Stage 2: Interviewing of applicants (for those who passed stage 1)
Notice of selections
*The application deadline for ALFP 2017 is Thursday, December 22, 2016.
Click links below fro Application Form and Guideline
Send your completed application form to ALFP Secretariat no later than Thursday, December 22, 2016.
c/o Program Department
International House of Japan
5-11-16 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032, Japan
Tel: +81-3-3470-3211 Fax: +81-3-3470-3170