Deadline: November 30, 2016
Type: Scholarship, Master & PhD degree
Program Period: 2 years for Master & 3 years for PhD
Number of Awards: 4 seats for Master & 8 seats for PhD
Course Starts: October 2017
Scholarship of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan, called MEXT, or Monbu-Kagaku Sho, is being offered to eligible candidates to pursue their master and PhD program at the Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences, Kyushu University, Japan.
- Bioresource Sciences
- Agro-environmental Sciences
- Agricultural and Resource Economics
- Bioscience and Biotechnology
- Innovative Science and Technology for Bio-industry (Ph.D. program only) .
For details of study areas, click here!
- Nationality: Applicants must be nationals of a country that has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. (Applicants who already live in Japan before October 2017 are ineligible to apply.)
- Age Limit: Applicants must be under 35 years as of April 1, 2017 (i.e., born after April 2, 1982).
- Academic Requirements
(a) Master’s course eligibility requirements:
(i) Applicants who have completed (or expect to complete) 16 years of academic education and who hold (or expect to receive) a bachelor’s degree from a university outside of Japan by September 30, 2017.
(ii) Applicants who do not hold a bachelor’s degree but have equal or higher academic attainment than individuals with a bachelor’s degree*.
(b) Doctoral course eligibility requirements:
(iii) Applicants who hold a master’s degree, or expect to receive one, from a university outside of Japan by September 30, 2017. Applicants who hold or expect to receive a master’s degree awarded by an English postgraduate course (program) in Japan are also eligible.
(iv) Applicants who do not hold a master’s degree but have equal or higher academic attainment than individuals with a master’s degree*.
*Individual Evaluation of Academic Ability
Those who wish to apply in accordance with the above qualification (ii) or (iv) are required to undergo an individual evaluation of their academic ability, according to an Individual Screening ofRequirements for Admission by the Kyushu University Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences. First, they must notify the Student Section (email@example.com) and then send all of the required documentation to the same address by September 30, 2016. Applicants will be notified of the results of the evaluation by October 30, 2016.
- Health: Candidates must be certified as both physically and mentally healthy by a qualified and recognized physician.
- Language: Nonnative English speakers must possess a sufficiently high official English score by a qualified body, namely TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, or Cambridge Certificate (a photocopy of the applicant’s scores must be attached).
- Time of Arrival: Students must arrive in Japan before September 30, 2017.
- Others: Applicants who already live in Japan before October 2016 are ineligible to apply.
MEXT Scholarship Applicants:
- Military personnel and civilian military employees are ineligible while on active duty or under employment.
- Candidates who do not arrive by the above date will be subject to scholarship cancellation.
- Persons already receiving financial support for study from other groups or organizations are not eligible.
- Students who attended a Japanese college or university in the past year must wait at least one year before applying, regardless of whether they received a scholarship. Furthermore, such students cannot have resided in Japan during this one-year interim period. Students who have received a MEXT scholarship within the past three years must wait at least another three years before becoming eligible for this course. Similarly, they cannot have resided in Japan during this three-year interim.
- Applicants who fail to receive a master’s or bachelor’s degree by September 30, 2017, will be subject to scholarship cancellation.
- A monthly stipend of 146,000JPY for the master’s course and 147,000JPY for the doctoral course. The stipend amount is subject to change depending on the annual budget. However, the stipend will be suspended during periods of leave, absence, or when the student remains off campus for prolonged periods of time without authorization.
- Travel Expenses
(a) Inbound travel: an economy class air ticket from the international airport closest to the student’s home to Fukuoka International Airport.
(b) Return travel: an economy class air ticket from Fukuoka International Airport to the international airport closest to the departing student’s home, or the equivalent cash amount will be provided to those leaving after the scholarship period, but before expiry of the time limit designated by MEXT.
* Travel insurance fees for both inbound and return trips are to be paid by the student.
- Fees for the entrance examination, admission, and tuition will be waived
How to Apply
Please apply for secure online form here. Applicants are strongly recommended that applicants contact your potential supervisor well before filling out the entry form.
For more information, please look at the guideline here and go to official website here.